Bel Canto Napa Valley, the valley’s premier choral ensemble, is launching a new scholarship program for the Fall of 2023. The StAR (“Student Artist in Residence”) is a scholarship/internship open to a high school junior or senior, or a college undergraduate student, who is seriously intending on pursuing a music education. Napa County students of voice, piano accompaniment, choral conducting and choral composition are encouraged to apply. The student selected for this program will be considered an integral part of the ensemble for the Fall semester; he or she will attend weekly Tuesday evening rehearsals, perform with the group at our Holiday concert series, and be show-cased at one of the concerts.
Our StAR will be awarded a $2,000 cash award for participation, and will receive the mentorship of several ensemble members with extensive professional musical experience.
Online application requirements include:
- Personal statement of 500 words or less
- Teacher recommendation (school music teacher or private instructor)
- Video file upload of your work:
- Singers: 2 contrasting solo pieces, at least one in a foreign language;
- Pianist/accompanists, a prepared piece, no more than 3 minutes;
- Conductors, yourself conducting a choral group;
- Composers, submit your own written 4-part choral composition.
- Call-back candidates will be required to perform in person for the panel, including a sight-reading element.
- Our final StAR participant will be required to sign a participation contract.
Please click HERE to complete the online application. Please be sure you have your personal statement, teacher recommendation and video files ready to upload before you fill out this application. The last part of the application involves the uploading of these files.
Applications open on April 1st. Deadline for submissions is June 15, 2023.